Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Elton John and His Gay Lifestyle

The following is a reprint from the November 27, 2006 PTM Update letter.

QUESTION: Recently Elton John made a statement about organized religion, that it should be done away with (how that would be accomplished is beyond me). Undoubtedly there is some truth to his statement that some churches and religious people lack compassion for gays such as himself. My question is, compassion for what? Certainly no one should be judging or condemning gay people. Of course “throwing the book at them” and condemning their lifestyle won’t make them repent of their lifestyle, but rather turn them away from Christianity altogether, and sadly that is what some Christians feel should be done.

My problem with gays is the militant way in which many strongly defend their lifestyle. But I truly believe that we must stay clear of the gay bashing and try to find some common ground with them. I find it a very touchy subject and a real tightrope to try to relate as fellow sinful human beings to them while avoiding them and at the same time somehow befriend them.

ANSWER: Correct - We have had comments and expect more about Elton John’s statement. Before tackling this subject I need to say at the outset that I have been a long time fan (almost 40 years) of Elton John’s music, even though I have known for most of that time of his sexual orientation. I expect to continue to be a fan of his music. A few years ago, for a special occasion, my wife and I went to an Elton John concert, thinking we would enjoy his music, and while we did enjoy his music, we found that we did so in spite of the fact that the staging seemed to be specifically directed at those who participate in the gay lifestyle (which of course my wife and I do not!). So we spent most of the concert glued to our binoculars, from our seats that were so far from the stage, focused only on Elton and his piano, and attempting to avoid all of the other “special effects” and staging.

Undoubtedly some will be upset that I enjoy Elton John’s music, and that I separate his lifestyle from his music. Some readers will feel that I should have stormed out of the concert. Some might say I didn’t because I paid too much for the tickets!?! If another Christian told me that they actually left the very same concert because they were offended, I wouldn’t disagree with their decision (depending on how high-and-mighty and holier-than-thou they acted in telling me what they did, and whether they insisted on trying to impress me about their “no nonsense, I will not put up with that stuff, self-righteousness posturing). If that were the case, then I would feel that they had only found yet another reason to trumpet their righteousness (which is not necessarily the same as God’s), and had they not found a reason for storming out of that concert, they would have found something else – for when we are intent on showing the world that we are holier-than-thou, there will always be opportunities to do so. In retrospect, before God, I do not feel badly about remaining at this concert, enjoying the concert by ignoring the visual effects and concentrating on the music. I have no regrets that I enjoy his music, and will continue to, but I have no plans to attend another of his concerts, even if I am given free tickets.

I share this since you have asked about Elton John, and I feel it is appropriate for me to share some of my own history with Elton John and his music. Some might get upset at the fact that a Christian (if they continue to think of me as a Christian) can enjoy music by a person who is an avowed, practicing homosexual. I would point out that if Christians stopped attending classical concerts, symphonies, concertos and opera simply on the basis of composers and artists who were/are practicing homosexuals, then Christians would attend few events featuring classical music.

I think that we all need to challenge our recrimination, condemnation and judgmentalism. I believe that I am free in Christ to enjoy Elton John’s music – and I will continue to. His “Candle In the Wind” always invokes strong feelings in my soul. However, as I said, I will never again attend one of his concerts for I only wish to enjoy his music, not subject myself to the “alternative lifestyle” trappings that seem to be pushed, at least during the concert we attended.

I would agree with Elton’s comments about oppressive, judgmental religion in the sense that he is talking about judgmentalism and condemnation. In the same interview to which you refer, I was interested to see that he did say that he found the teachings of Jesus to be inspiring. Perhaps that’s a key to reaching people who are so obviously trapped by some sin, dysfunction, addiction – whatever it may be. The best thing we can do for anyone is to direct them to Jesus – for Jesus alone can provide the answer that so many desperately need – including Elton John. May others see our Jesus, not our religious stuff.

Sadly, and this is something all Christians need to take to heart, our own diatribes and invective in the name of God about homosexuals have given many practicing homosexuals the justification they so desperately seek, so that they can feel vindicated, and declare God and the Bible as irrelevant, hateful and vindictive. There is absolutely no biblical warrant for placing practicing homosexuals at the top of some religious hit list of sins (as some in Christendom do), thinking that if we can just get rid of the “gay problem” then we will be one step closer to society being the way it ought to be. After all, if we could just get rid of all sinners, the world would be a better place, wouldn’t it – but then you and I wouldn’t be around would we? A world without sin would be a world without humans. God’s grace does not lead us to hate gays or reserve a special place in hell for them.

On the other hand, it is true that some gays are militant, they push their agenda, they agitate, which ironically seems to be the very thing that some in Christendom do in response to gays. So we have the classical eye-for-an-eye and tooth-for-a-tooth scenario, of which Jesus speaks in the Sermon On the Mount. As Christians, we of course do not condone sin of any kind (including in our own lives whatever that sin may be), and we do not hesitate to draw appropriate boundaries when we feel biblical values are being openly flaunted or compromised. How we do this without being hateful or judgmental is critically important. It seems to me that the secret of doing so is realizing that only Jesus can produce this kind of unflinching, uncompromising, unconditional love in our lives and our behavior.

There is no Christian/biblical reason to condone or promote gay lifestyles – but instead to invite all those who are trapped in the gay lifestyle (along with all of us who are sinners in our own right, in our own way for we all fall short) to repentance and to the spiritual perfection we are offered in Jesus Christ. There is no way that Christians may tell gays that it is OK to be gay, to practice a gay lifestyle – there is every reason that we have to invite them to God’s grace, which means that in Christ the gay lifestyle will be overcome and left behind, for it is not consistent, according to the New Testament, with the new life in Christ that He lives right within us.

In Christ, Greg Albrecht


[Back to Home]