Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Clarification Of "Help"

A friend called my attention to the article I posted on Monday, September 11. The title was: "Christ does not "help" me, and I do not "help" Christ".

He said that there are many references in Scripture stating that "God helps us" and "Christ helps us", so the use of the word "help" in the article could be misleading.

I agree that "not helping" was a poor choice of words to use. I went to my Webster's Dictionary and looked up "help". I found that the synonym "assist" would have been a better choice. Webster said, "the synonym 'assist' suggests a secondary role in the assistant or a subordinate character in the assistance."

My point which I hope came through in the article was that Christ does ALL the work through us and that without Him we can do nothing. Any idea of "help" or "assistance" tends to put forth the concept that we can do some "good" in our own strength. The truth of GRACE is too powerful for that.

Again I state that if Jesus said that of Himself He could do nothing because the Father in Him did the works, then I as a Christian must state that I can do nothing of myself because Christ in me does the works.