Thursday, December 15, 2005

God's "Mansions"

John Fourteen is an often quoted section of the Gospel of John. The King James version speaks of “mansions” as follows:
“Do not let your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in me.
In my Father‘s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there you may be also.”
John 14:1-3

For most of the years of my life, I equated these verses with the concept of going to heaven and being with God.

At a Bible study a number of years ago where John Fourteen was being discussed, a friend commented, “There are a few Bible scholars who believe that Jesus was not talking about heaven, and our future place or mansion in heaven.” To those in our group, this thought was so foreign that I considered it in silence, and no one asked for clarification. Nothing more was said. Later I found that through the centuries a few Bible scholars have expressed similar interpretations. Apparently Christendom preferred to focus on our escaping from this life and its troubles, by anticipating a future life in heaven rather than focusing on a present kingdom of heaven.

Parallel to this, I formed the habit as I studied Scripture of not just reading one phrase, one portion, or one verse alone, but of analyzing the portion in the context of the complete sentence and paragraph, and often the entire event that occasioned the discourse.

In this way I began to see a new slant on Jesus’ words in John Fourteen about the many mansions in His Father’s house. When the disciples listened to Jesus’ comments about His approaching death and His need to leave them, they became confused and frustrated. My understanding of the chapter is that it is an account of Jesus’ desire to comfort and strengthen them by showing them the truth. He is returning again, but when?

I do not mean to make less of the thought of heaven, but there are other Scriptures about that. In this passage I believe Jesus meant to teach them - and us - a truth much more vital and necessary to our life now.

These verses have been used innumerable times to give hope and comfort to the dying and the bereaved. I have considered it this way myself. However, it seems to me that if we use it for this purpose alone, we withhold a basic truth from believers. Instead of our need to “tough it out and to endure until we receive our little mansion up in heaven,” Jesus is giving us the possibility of our receiving power, hope and peace to sustain us NOW.

Jesus talked about the many mansions (or abodes) in His Father’s house. In our concentration on our room waiting in heaven, we have missed a greater truth. Could Jesus have been talking about the many places where the FATHER abides and dwells? The sentence structure certainly allows for this interpretation. I would freely paraphrase this Scripture in this way:

“In my Father‘s universe, He has many places where He lives. In heaven is one, in the body of Jesus is another, and by the power of His Holy Spirit He lives in every believer.”

To examine further this thought, let us follow Jesus’ dialogue with the disciples. In verse three He promises them that He will return and take them to a new relationship. This is often interpreted as meaning heaven, but Jesus does not say so. Rather, I believe He is saying that He will take them to the Father (v. 6). Thomas questions him, “We don’t understand; what are you talking about?”

The following verses are crucial. Jesus states, “If you had known Me [understood Me] you would have known My Father also; henceforth you know Him and have seen Him” (John 14:7)

Philip enters the discussion by saying, “Lord, show us the Father, and it will be sufficient for us.”

In verse nine it is almost as if Jesus speaks in astonishment: “Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father?’... The Father who dwells in Me does His works.”

In verse eleven Jesus says, “Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me; or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.” He said that as they had just watched Him feeding hungry people, healing the sick, and doing many “works”. They should have realized that they were watching God in Him doing these miracles.

Then Jesus promises a whole new life to them - a life of works, a life of answered prayer - that the Father may be glorified (revealed) in the Son (verses 12-14). Jesus also promises another Helper, one who will not leave them as Jesus must do, but will abide (live) in them forever.

I am thankful for the recording of Jesus’ words in verses 17, 20 and 23! “You know Him, for He dwells with you (now], and will (live] in you.” This can only mean that Jesus - with the Father and Holy Spirit in Him - at that time living amongst them, will soon live [abide, dwell] IN them. He says, in effect, “Cheer up, men; don’t be so sad. It will be even better for you when I live IN YOU instead of just near you!”

John develops this concept by giving more of Jesus’ words: “In that day you will know that I AM IN MY FATHER, and YOU IN ME, and I IN YOU.” (v.20) and also: “And My Father will love him (a believer), and WE will come to HIM (a believer) and MAKE OUR HOME with him.” Jesus said that He would return to them, and now He says that as the God-Jesus Person He will live, or abide, IN THEM!

In the conclusion of the chapter Jesus again promises that through His Holy Spirit He would give them peace. They no longer needed to be fearful. Yes, He will still need to die, as they also will, but in the midst of that, they can be at peace.

This was how the discussion had began in verse one. Peace was to be attained not by escaping to heaven, but through understanding that God Himself would be living in them and working out His will in their experiences of life.

I believe that for too long, in failing to interpret this passage as I now understand it, I failed to give God a proper welcome into my life. Now I hope that in day-to-day relationships with other people, God is able to be revealed in me. “IN MY FATHER’S HOUSE [THE SPIRIT REALM AND THE MATERIAL REALM] HE HAS MANY DWELLING PLACES - IN HEAVEN, IN CHRIST, AND IN US.” Not just some kind of a “spiritual contact”, but Jesus - yes, GOD HIMSELF - living in us.

Heaven will be great! But life still has to be lived as human beings. We can’t - but Christ living in us, as us and for us can.

[Back to Home]